To obtain a Building Permit with the Town of Millville, you must provide the following:
- Homeowners Association (HOA) approval letter (if the residence is located within a community with an HOA);
- Copy of a Sussex County Building Permit;
- Two (2) sets of detailed plans – this often shows the dimensions, measurements, materials used for the job;
- Site survey – this is the birds-eye view plan of the lot with the structure on it, as well as where the project (i.e., fence, deck, shed, etc.) will be placed; and
- Completed & signed Town Building Permit application, which can be found by clicking here.
Complete and sign both pages of the Building Permit Application/Agreement form and include all applicable checklist items listed on the application. The Town has a minimum of five (5) business days from the date the application is received to review the construction plans and return to the applicant along with the Plan Review/Building Permit fee due.
If a company/builder/contractor is hired to do the work, they will need to have a Town of Millville Business License; to apply for a Town Business License, please click here.
To calculate how much a building permit will cost, please refer to the Town’s Fee Schedule (particularly the sections: “Review of Building Plans,” and “Building Permit Fees”):
|REVIEW OF BUILDING PLANS*
Cost per sq. ft. Minimum
- New Residential Construction, Additions (Increase to Floor Area) $0.25 $50.00
- New Commercial Construction $0.40 $300.00
- Residential Renovations & Repairs $0.25 $40.00
- Decks, Porches, Patios $0.25 $40.00
- Accessory Structures $0.25 $100.00
- Pole Barns (Unfinished Structure) $250.00
- Pole Barns (Finished Structure) $0.25 $100.00
- Commercial Renovations & Repairs $0.40 $100.00
- New Residential Construction $1.25 ——–
- Additions (Increase to Floor Area) $1.25 ——–
- New Commercial Construction $1.30 ——–
- Residential Renovations & Repairs** See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Decks, Porches, Patios** See Multiplier Below $60.00
- Accessory Structures (Unfinished Floor) $0.75 $50.00
- Accessory Structures (Finished Floor) $1.25 $100.00
- Pole Barns (Unfinished Structure) See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Pole Barns (Finished Structure) $0.75 $100.00
- Commercial Fit-out/Renovations & Repairs $0.50 $200.00
- Fences: Rail, Chain Link, Wood or Vinyl ** See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Sidewalks and Driveways** See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Demolition of any Structure or Building** See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Moving any Structure or building our of Town Limits** See Multiplier Below $50.00
- Swimming Pools: In ground only** See Multiplier Below $250.00
- Metal or Masonry Fireplace $250.00
*Should additional inspection(s) or construction plan review be necessary, the Town will bill the applicant for any necessary additional professional fees as encumbered throughout the building process. Professional fees must be paid by the applicant prior to the issuance of a building permit or certificate of occupancy.
|Total Construction Value
|Up to $999.00
|$1,000 to $40,000
||$11 per additional 1,000 > 1,001
|$40,001 and Over
||$10 per additional 1,000 > 40,001
NOTE: ANY ENTITY EXEMPT FROM AD VALOREM TAXES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR BUILDING PERMIT FEES; HOWEVER, THE ENTITY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REIMBURSING THE TOWN ANY PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING OR LEGAL FEES ASSOCIATED WITH THE PERMIT.
For Major Subdivisions:
Fill out the application found here.