- 2022 Election Notice
- Voter Information (Town Charter) – Election Proof of Identity and Address
- Solicitation of Candidates Notice
- Request for Absentee Ballot
- Candidate Filing Form and Ethics Form
- If you would like to run for office but are not sure which form to file: Which Form to File to Run for Office.
- Certificate of Intention Form *(If you plan on paying less than $1,000 per year on your campaign or you intend or expect to receive or spend no more than
$2,000 in your campaign)
- Statement of Organization Form
- Candidate Withdraw Form
- For more information relating to State Election Laws: Municipal Elections
Structure of Government
The government of The Town and the exercise of all powers conferred by this Charter, except as otherwise provided herein, shall be vested in the Town Council. The Town Council shall be composed of five (5) members, each of whose terms shall be for a period of two (2) years, commencing at the Annual Meeting of the Town Council following his or her election and continuing until his or her successor is duly elected and qualified. One of the members of the Town Council shall be elected Mayor of the Town Council and upon his or her election shall have the title of Mayor of The Town of Millville and shall perform all duties prescribed herein to be performed by the Mayor of the Town of Millville.
Qualifications for Town Council Member
The qualifications for Town Council member at the time of his or her election shall be as follows:
- A bona fide resident of the United States and of the State of Delaware, and a resident of The Town of Millville for at least ninety (90) days next preceding the Annual Municipal Election: and
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- Non-delinquent in taxes, utilities, or any other debt to the Town;
- Not been convicted of a felony; and
- Not been adjudged mentally incompetent.
Each of the qualifications for Town Council member shall be continuing qualifications to hold office and the failure of any of the Town Council members to have any of the qualifications required by this Section during his or her term of office shall create a vacancy in that Office.
Method of Making Nominations for Town Council Members
At a minimum, Title 15 of the Delaware Code shall be followed where applicable. However, certain items in this Section exceed those requirements and are to be followed. Each candidate for Town Council member shall be nominated as follows:
Each candidate shall notify the Town Manager or designee in writing of his or her candidacy for the office of Town Council member. At that time, the candidate shall fill out and file with the Town Manager or designee, the Ethics Form in Appendix B of this Charter.
All such notifications of candidacy, consent to the required background check, and the completed Ethics Form, along with the Certificate of Intention or a Statement of Organization, must be filed with the Town Manager or designee during the regular business hours of the Town on or before the close of business on the first Friday in the month of February; and thereupon it shall be the duty of the Town Manager or designee to have a list of all candidates so filed printed in at least one (1) newspaper of general circulation in the Town of Millville at least fifteen (15) days prior to the date of the said Annual Municipal Election next ensuing; and, in the discretion of the Town Council, the Secretary may post a list of names of all candidates designating the office sought by each candidate in at least five (5) public places in the Town and on the Millville Town website. One of the public places shall be in or outside the Town Hall of the Town of Millville.
The Town Manager or designee shall submit the names of candidates for each office up for election to the Sussex County Department of Elections no later than one (1) business day following the deadlines for the elected positions.
Manner of Holding Annual Municipal Election
The procedure for holding the Annual Municipal Election shall be as follows:
At such Annual Municipal Election, every person, male or female, who shall have attained the age of eighteen (18) years on the date of the said Annual Municipal Election and who shall be a bona fide resident of the Town of Millville shall have one (l) vote.