To obtain a Building Permit with the Town of Millville, you must provide the following:
- Homeowners Association (HOA) approval letter (if the residence is located within a community with an HOA);
- Copy of a Sussex County Building Permit (to see what projects require a Sussex County building permit, please click here);
- One (1) set of detailed plans – this often shows the dimensions, measurements, materials used for the job;
- Site survey – this is the birds-eye view plan of the lot with the structure on it, as well as where the project (i.e., fence, deck, shed, etc.) will be placed;
- Completed & signed Town Building Permit application, which can be found by clicking here; and (if applicable)
- COMMERCIAL ONLY: Click here for Rt. 26 & Rt. 17 Commercial Building Design Standards & Guidelines and complete checklist.
Complete and sign both pages of the Building Permit Application/Agreement form and include all applicable checklist items listed on the application. The Town has a minimum of five (5) business days from the date the application is received to review the construction plans and return to the applicant along with the Plan Review/Building Permit fee due.
If a company/builder/contractor is hired to do the work, they will need to have a Town of Millville Business License; to apply for a Town Business License, please click here.
To calculate how much a building permit will cost, please refer to the Town’s Fee Schedule (particularly the sections: “Review of Building Plans,” and “Building Permit Fees”):
|BUILDING PERMIT FEES°*||Cost per sq. ft.||Minimum||Flat Rate|
|New Residential Construction||$1.25||—||—|
|Additions (Increase to Floor Area)||$1.25||—||—|
|New Commercial Construction||$1.30||—||—|
|Residential Renovations & Repairs**||See Multiplier Below||$50.00||—|
|Decks, Porches, Patios**||See Multiplier Below||$60.00||—|
|Accessory Structures (Unfinished Floor)||$0.75||$50.00||—|
|Accessory Structures (Finished Floor)||$1.25||$100.00||—|
|Commercial Fit-out/Renovations & Repairs||$0.50||$200.00||—|
|Fences: Rail, Chain Link, Wood or Vinyl **||See Multiplier Below||$50.00||—|
|Sidewalks and Driveways**||See Multiplier Below||$50.00||—|
|Demolition of any Structure or Building**||See Multiplier Below||$50.00||—|
|Moving any Structure or building our of Town Limits**||See Multiplier Below||$50.00||—|
|Swimming Pools: In ground only**||See Multiplier Below||$250.00||—|
|Metal or Masonry Fireplace||—||$250.00||—|
|NEW CONSTRUCTION FEES (FOR RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL ONLY)||FEE|
|Re-Site & Final Topo Survey Review||$200|
|First Responder Impact Fee||$500|
°The fee for building permits will be doubled if a permit is not obtained prior to the beginning of construction. Penalties as specified in 155-65 are also applicable. (As per Resolution 18-05)
*Should additional inspection(s) or construction plan review be necessary, the Town will bill the applicant for any necessary additional professional fees as encumbered throughout the building process. Professional fees must be paid by the applicant prior to the issuance of a building permit or certificate of occupancy.
|Total Construction Value||Base||Multiplier Rate||Total Permit|
|Up to $999.00||$ 50.00|
|$1,000 to $40,000||$ 50.00||$11 per additional 1,000 > 1,001|
|$40,001 and Over||$ 479.00||$10 per additional 1,000 > 40,001|
NOTE: ANY ENTITY EXEMPT FROM AD VALOREM TAXES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR BUILDING PERMIT FEES; HOWEVER, THE ENTITY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REIMBURSING THE TOWN ANY PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING OR LEGAL FEES ASSOCIATED WITH THE PERMIT.
For Minor/Major Subdivisions:
Fill out the application found here.